Wednesday 10 October 2012

JDF: British Vanilla Ice Cream.

Now there's a reason why I call it BRITISH vanilla ice cream because the main difference is the ice cream in England has a lovely, rich, light yellow colour which makes it look so wholesome as opposed to the Indian ice creams we buy which is a tasteless spotless white colour. This was the first time I made ice cream and it turned out great! Since I don't have an ice cream machine (yet) I did the next best thing Jamie advises to do: Go to the freezer every twenty minutes and stir the ice cream mixture to give it that amazing, creamy texture and so that it doesn't taste like icy crystals.

This was the first time I used an actual vanilla pod instead of the vanilla essence and I'm telling you, it makes ALL the difference! I couldn't believe that this was something you actually just picked off a tree! Vanilla, somehow sounds so man-made but then you realize that something this perfect has to be natural.

THAT'S how it turned out. Pretty awesome, eh?


MY TIPS-
  • Don't forget the stirring, it's more important than you can imagine!
  • A little less cream if you find it too rich is absolutely okay.
  • Ice Cream is kind of just frozen custard and if it does scramble while on the pan, don't worry ! Just transfer it to a cool pan and pass it through a sieve.
  • To make a tiny vanilla sundae, add some brownie crumbs and a shot of Bailey's!
If you're counting that's dessert #3 in the Jamie Dessert Fest! The weather's perfect for some ice cream, eh? And ofcourse, here's the recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/Vanilla%20ice-cream/1454 This isn't the exact recipe from the book but I couldn't find it anywhere online. Instead of vanilla sugar, use regular sugar and a vanilla pod :) If you have anymore doubts, you can always tweet me at https://twitter.com/devikambing

Enjoy!

xoxo
D

2 comments:

  1. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at icecream, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to catier watches

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete