Thursday 5 January 2017

The Pink Radish Story.

Three months ago, after feeling completely inspired by an episode of Chef's Table, I decided to have a go at growing my own produce. It seemed to make so much sense. My family had seen me cribbing and whining about Indian produce and here was something I could do to take matters into my own hands, instead of just complaining.

I was lucky enough to have some space in the country to start this new project and to begin my mission. I had a few of my favourite veg planted; Bhavnagri chilies, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, zucchinni flowers and pink radishes. I started with zero expectations. I was ready for complete disappointment.

I made trips every 2 weeks to see that everything was in order. Thus far, nothing had gone disastrously wrong, which was.. umm.. a good sign?

Then, in December, when I visited, I was told that my pink radishes were ready. I couldn't believe it. I plucked them out of the soil, and there they were, in all their scarlet glory, my beautiful radishes!




HEY SEXY THANGS





ENOUGH SHOWING OFF ALREADY!




Once I got home, I decided that I HAD to make a dish entirely of radishes, like a  Masterchef challenge where I had to hero just one ingredient; CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

I spent all morning figuring out the best ways to treat the different parts of this sexy root vegetable. I even called a few chef friends and asked them for ideas as well. Slowly but definitely, I could see a dish forming in my mind.

I don't know how to explain the immense joy you feel when you execute something on the plate and it is the exact replica of the picture you had in your mind. Ecstasy. Plain, unadulterated ecstasy.


So, wihtout further ado,  here is my finished dish and I'm ready for the tasting table ;)




BRAISED RADISH, PICKLED RADISH, FRESH RADISH, FRIED RADISH LEAVES, RADISH STEM SALSA VERDE, PRAWN AIOLI, RADISH LEAF DUST.



READY FOR MY CLOSE UP MISTER DUVALL

Hope you enjoyed this post you guys! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Wishing you all a very Happy New Year! I hope to do a few more posts with the bounty from my farm, I can't wait!

Stay Hungry y'all

xoxo
D


2 comments:

  1. I cant only imagine the sense of accomplishment and joy you must have felt after pulling off this feat. Others must have only seen an hour of dish preparation, but this is actually the result of months of nurturing.

    Way to go!

    Stumbled upon youe blog url from Instagram. I blog at www.scriptedinsanity.blogspot.com. Do drop by.

    Cheers,
    CRD

    ReplyDelete