Tuesday 25 September 2012

Lanka.

It's another F & F abroad! This time, a little closer to home. This was my third visit to Sri Lanka. The 1st two times I was quite a child and didn't really understand much. So here's an older and wiser me sharing my thoughts and pics with you guys. I first went to a place called Hambantota. Yes, I DID in fact go there. Every Sri Lankan thought I was out of my mind to go there but well, I did. Not so great on the food front, but who doesn't love spas and beaches? They did have this one really awesome dish though, Grilled Tiger Prawns with lemon butter- yum!

Seafood with Lemon Butter- Match made in heaven.


Sri Lanka has always been one of the most stylish places I've been to. The way restaurants and hotels are done up is just amazing. So, when it comes to this post, I'm gonna talk about food in Sri Lanka and fashion in Sri Lanka. My first meal was a very Sri Lankan breakfast with Wood Apple juice. Wood Apple is a VERY smelly fruit which is kind of a favourite with elephants. Tastewise? Ummm... Not so good but you have to try everything for an authentic experience! And speaking of authentic Lankan experiences, you can't go the Sri Lanka and not try their egg hoppers!

The legendary Wood Apple waiting for me in my room.

Wood Apple juice for breakie!



Egg hopper 1.0
Egg hopper 2.0



The Gallery Cafe.
The Gallery Cafe opened in 1998 in a structure which was the former offices of the world renowned Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa. This cafe oozes class. The menu is also really contemporary and I loved it!

I had: A Caesar's salad with spicy prawns- Drawback? No romaine lettuce
Onion Rings and a spinach and ricotta ravioli with creamy pesto. To drink, I had plain ol' ginger beer. For dessert, I had the Paradise road chocolate cake. All in all, a great meal :)

All good things come in a menu :)

Onion Rings!

No Romaine, but spicy prawns are always yum!

As I was saying... Oozes class.

Seems like para para paradise

Every time she closed her eyes...


The Lagoon.
This restaurant is in a 5-star hotel. It has a beautiful concept. Fresh seafood on ice on display, choose your method of cooking and your sauce and a side and you're good to go!

What I chose? 
Fried crab claws- Something new! 
Fried prawns- A little bland 
Modha fish in a Chinese tamarind sauce- Perfect!
Calamari with chili and garlic- Again, yum.
For the side I decided to be simple an ordered some fried rice.

                                                                         Fried Prawns

                                                          Stir fried Modha with tamarind sauce.





                                                            Cuttlefish with Garlic and Chili

Since I'm sick, I'm gonna do the shopping bit a little later cause my bed is calling me. Hope this was enjoyable! See you sooooooooooooon! 
Stay Hungry!

xoxo
D







No comments:

Post a Comment