Monday 10 September 2012

JDF: Carrot Cake with Lime and Mascarpone Icing

Let's goooooo!


Yep! That's the first dessert I chose to make. Carrot cake, one of the most rustic and homely cakes which, if made right is just so comforting. I'd never made a carrot cake before and the 1st one I tried is Jamie's. This recipe is quite time consuming because there are many elements going on at the same time. Unlike a chocolate cake, there are many more taste elements like ground nutmeg, cinnamon and clove. I'm writing this as it's in the oven, so, fingers crossed!

Hot out of the oven! Mmmmmm...


Phewwww! So luckily it's out of the oven looking like THAT. Yes I know. As I said before, this cake is really time consuming and has to cool for about an hour after which I ice it with the beautiful icing. The icing is another very important aspect of the cake because of which it stands out and isn't just any other soppy old carrot cake. Check out the recipe at http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pastry-cake/a-rather-pleasing-carrot-cake-with-lime-

The finished product. I'm happy!


A few tips I'd give:
  • Be as organized as possible and keep everything grated and ground before you start the cake making process.
  • Don't be impatient and not let it cool, it's really important.
  • Don't leave out the zest because it just tastes amazing!
  • If it hasn't cooked in the given time and starts burning on top, cover it with foil and pop it back into the oven. This way it'll cook from the inside.
  • Send me a piece for critical acclaim ;)
So that was Dessert #1 of the Jamie Dessert Fest. One down. I'll be back with more! Until then, try it yourself :)

xoxo
D

No comments:

Post a Comment