Wednesday 18 April 2012

Eighteen.

18. The two numbers that are SO important in an Indian teenager's life. It's the Indian Sweet16 I guess but it's important in so many ways. Our parents can literally stop calling us children, we can tell our younger siblings smugly that "I'm an adult.", we can watch The Hangover legally (cause watching it illegally wasn't fun enough ;)

For a girl I guess it's one of her biggest days coming 2nd to ofcourse, getting married. Every 18 year old girl wants to have a perfect eighteenth. Something that she'll never forget and something that will be the talk of the town. One thing that you shouldn't forget during the crazy planning is that you're doing this for yourself 1st and then for the status quo. It's just a disappointment if you end up calling your nemesis just cause she's popular but you spend your whole party getting upset about her behaviour and clothes.

THE DRESS.
Getting the perfect dress is the hardest part. Trust me, I know. I celebrated my eighteenth this January and know just how stressful it can be. Dress shopping can take a while. It can also be all that you think about till you've handed the money over to the counter and the bag with your perfect dress is in your hand. Getting it can be tricky. Don't ever wear something that you aren't gonna be comfortable in no matter how good you look in it, cause your discomfort can ruin the hottie image completely. Take me for example, wearing sleeveless clothes just isn't my thing so I tend to steer away from them. After scourging Palladium and a few isolated boutiques, I finally settled on a Navy Blue Lace Dress from Zara. It was a match made in heaven. We matched like Jack and Rose and like theirs, our love is eternal and I will never let go. It understands my body type, knows my flaws and also does a perfect job of hiding them. You really can't ask for a better relationship.

THE SHOES.
Finding the perfect shoes can be tricky especially since you have to now coordinate them with your dress. The rule's simple: Other things being equal, if your dress is fancy, let it do the talking and let the shoes just subtly compliment it and vice-versa.
-Prof. Devika Bing
For example, if you find a shiny black LBD, go with plain pumps, the colour's your call cause everything goes with black.
On the other hand, if you find a plain white dress, go all out on the shoes. Let them look extravagant! Strappy stilletos for example.
NO EXCEPTIONS TO THE LAW.

For mine, I landed on a pair of Nude Steve Madden Pumps. Since my dress was lacy and thus quite fancy, I went easy on the footwear (wasn't easy on my wallet though!).

Once we've got the main aspects out of the way, there are other tiny things that go a long way; your hair, accessories, nails and make-up. Don't end up looking unlike yourself, be you. I left my hair loose and put a little something to enhance my curls since my hair is normally quite wavy. I wore simple diamond hoops in my ears and a big, white, pearl flower ring. I painted my nails a hot pink so that they'd stand out. My make-up was pretty natural.
Don't forget to squirt a lot of your favourite perfume all over and a special squirt behind your ears so that you smell heavenly when someones comes close to talk to you ;) My birthday fragrance was Hearts & Daggers by Ed Hardy.








Apart from this, dance, eat some cake, drink some champagne, open some gifts and go for a drive because... YOU'RE EIGHTEEN!

xoxo
D

2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much!
    Your blog is epic :D

    Please help me spread the word!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete